Indicator of the health of the elderly and their quality of life.
Unit: the need for attention and care needed by those who can not do for themselves the activities of daily living.
Major causes of dependency.
• Chronic illness or disabling.
• cardiovascular diseases (stroke, CHF)
• Pathologies in the musculoskeletal (arthritis, osteoporosis)
• Neurological disorders (Alzheimer, dementia)
• Pathologies that affect the sense organs (cataracts, deafness)
• Urinary incontinence
• Infectious process
• Oral diseases
• Food and nutrition
• Depresion.Síndrome restraints.
Decline in ability to perform activities of daily living impairment or deterioration of motor functions.
Can be avoided, even during a serious illness.
-> 65 years 18% problems with mobility without assistance
-> 75 years 50% difficulty in emerging
20% confined to home.
3 days patients spend in bed or chair. 33% of fixed assets are causes of death after three months and 58% a year.
Etiology of immobilization.
• Pain and stiffness
• Cause cardiovascular and pulmonary
• Neurological causes
• General weakness
• Metabolic causes
• Mental Illness
• Lack of support (without a walker, cane or burrito)
• Impaired vision and hearing
• Instability and fear of falling
• urinary and fecal incontinence
• Iatrogenic (drugs, immobilization)
• Architectural Barriers
• Disease of the feet.
• Withdrawal and isolation
• Stiffness and contractures
• Loss of muscle strength
• Constipation and implementation
• Retention and incontinence
• Instability and Falls